Knowing your own style, what you love wearing and what clothes make you feel good, is the best feeling ever. I call it your Style DNA. Have you ever gone shopping with a friend and she has persuaded you to buy something yet you’ve never worn it, not even once?What your friend chose for you was what she likes to wear, based on what makes her feel good; in other words it was an opinion based on her Style DNA. But do you truly know what yours is? Or do you need expert advice to help you identify yours? Think about what you like to wear, do you know what styles flatter you, not only your body shape but your personality too. You need to spend time finding this out, (and I understand how precious our time is) but think about the amount of time you spend shopping to then never wear that item and I dare you to think about the money you have wasted over the years! Think about the following:
- Think about the clothes you love wearing.
- What is it about them you like? Perhaps it’s the colour, the style or when you wore them. You might have more confidence when you wear certain clothes over others and usually this applies most to occasion wear. This is normally because you have given yourself time to find this outfit but life is too short to only feel good in our clothes occasionally.
- Do you have a style uniform that you feel good in? Mine is; a white shirt, jeans and a jacket.
- You need to try on the clothes you already have and give yourself time to do this.
- You might have a wardrobe full of clothes but honestly, how many do you wear?
- How do certain clothes make you feel? Because clothes have the ability to make you look and feel fat and alternatively, they can make you look and feel younger and slimmer too. You need to identify which clothes evoke what feelings.
- Start to look at what other people are wearing that you like.
- Look at the items that they are wearing. Is it a particular item or their style, the whole look.
- How you put your clothes together to create your look which then becomes your style.
- Think about celebrities you know and their style. They will dress in a similar way all the time. Fearne Cotton, Holly Willoughby, Carol Vorderman, Amanda Holden, Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman; You would say they were all fashionable. However they all dress differently and make fashion work for them.
My Top Tips:
- Know what you love wearing
- Know what you have in your wardrobe
- Make sure every item you own makes you feel fabulous
- Learn how to create new looks from what you already have
- Know what you want to buy and how you are going to wear what you buy
Your Style DNA exists you just need to go and find it!
If you still can’t find your Style DNA join me on the 22nd February and lets make sure this coming season your style is what you want it to be and not your friends. Stylish wishes, x